After falling short on his quest to reclaim the world title in Japan last year, Kevin “The Silencer” Belingon is eager to capture the form which led him to the interim ONE Bantamweight World Championship in July 2018.
The Team Lakay star is aware that his ambition might be put on hold due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, but once it is all over, Belingon has one place in mind to forge a comeback.
“My target, hopefully, is the May event here in the Philippines. That is what I am looking at,” the 32-year-old athlete said.
Should all go according to plan, the world’s largest martial arts organization will make a return to Manila, Philippines for ONE INFINITY 1 on Friday, 29 May.
Not only does he want to make a return, but “The Silencer”’s goal is to showcase a more developed style, something he has been working on during his time off.
“Now, I am focused on the ground game and my wrestling. Of course, I won’t relax on my specialty either – my striking. But then again, reviewing my match with Bibiano, I am really lacking on the ground and wrestling, so that’s what I am looking at right now,” the former world champions declared.
“The most important thing is to get back to my winning ways and compete for the title once more. That’s the goal – to get back on top and get the belt.”
Belingon knows there will be a lot of challenges competing for the same prize, and he does not mind facing the division’s best to get him equipped for a potential fifth match against Fernandes.
One name he has in mind is John “Hands Of Stone” Lineker, one of the most experienced athletes in the bantamweight category.
“It will be exciting if they give me John Lineker. It will be a very good match,” he said.
“You see how he fights? He has an excellent striking, and he is really good. So if we cross paths, it will be a barn burner, for sure.”
If he could overcome the power and brilliance of Linker, another World Title shot would not seem too far off.
Download the ONE Super App to keep in touch with Belingon and other world-class heroes.